Thursday, January 30, 2014

Milk


Milk... This is what happens when I consume dairy products. Within about an hour or 2 after having dairy, My hands get really itchy, scaley, covered with a red rash (& usually start bleeding). I've yet to find a lotion or remedy that can help with the pain & itching. I also get acne like a 13 year old going through puberty when I consume dairy. Yuck.
Over the past 6-12 months I've experimented with adding/subtracting certain foods, with crazy awesome results. The biggest 2 subtractions have been dairy and gluten. While being free from dairy and gluten, I knew that I was feeling much better mentally & physically, had more energy, and was pretty much feeling like a whole new person. In reality, I had forgotten just how BAD things were before this big change. Unfortunately, I am now being viciously reminded of just how BAD it really was.

After being completely gluten/dairy free for 1 whole month (which is REALLY hard, when your family still eats tons of food filled with these 2 items), I decided to indulge a little on Christmas. Okay, it was a little more than a little ;)  December 26 2013 - Worst. day. of my life, recently. I spent over 8 hours trapped in the bathroom in the most agonizing pain I've ever experienced (other than natural childbirth). I would have much rather been in labor. At least there would be a positive outcome: beautiful baby, and I would know that eventually the pain would go away. Instead, I kept wondering if I was ever going stop being in pain. Short of taking prescription pain pills (no thank you!), there was nothing that was helping to ease the pain. Finally, I was able to leave my royal throne long enough to climb in the tub. I don't know if it had just finally been long enough (8+ hours) or if the bath truly was as magical as I'm remembering. I was still in pain. But not the 'kill me now' kind of pain anymore. The rest of the night is somewhat of a blur to me, but the next day, still in pain, I decided it was time to get some REAL answers, and stop experimenting on my own.

I made an appointment with a GI that a friend recommended. I wasn't able to get in til January 29, but I was told The 'Gut Whisperer' was definitely worth the wait. The appointment went well. The Dr. (& staff) seemed up to par and very friendly. After talking with the Dr. and giving medical history, symptoms, etc, I was scheduled for an Endoscopy & Colonoscopy. FINALLY, some answers will hopefully be coming...

Wait, what? What about the milk? In order for those procedures to produce accurate results, I have to put dairy and gluten back in my diet. SHUT UP! Gah... So, here I am, 2 days into my dairy/gluten consuming journey. It's horrible. I seriously had totally forgotten how bad this all is. My hands hurting/itching/bleeding is just a small part of this nightmare. My energy level is at about 2%, down from like 100%+ just a few days ago. I felt like I was on cloud nine. Life could not have been better. Things were peachy keen. Today, I'm feeling so sluggish. Feeling very irritable. I'm scared of what's to come until I can stop eating these foods that my body just doesn't like. March 11. That's the day I go in for my Endoscopy/Colonoscopy.  Almost 6 weeks away. Can my body, can I, can my little family handle 6 more weeks of this. 2 days in and I'm missing my former 'diet'.

Here's to hoping the probiotics the Dr. recommended I start will help counteract the negative affects a little. He also prescribed something for the pain, but I REALLY REALLY dislike taking medication unless it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.

I realize this is somewhat of a whiney post. I didn't intend for it to be. I mostly wanted to jot down some of the feelings I've been having about the situation, and record some thoughts, so that I can remember it all as time goes by. My memory is terrible. Like, literally can't remember what I ate yesterday kind of terrible. If I don't take a picture of it or journal about it or somehow record the moment/thought, chances are, I won't remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment